A Tour of Voss Pecans Top Ten Things I learned!
I love pecans and when I got the chance to go on a tour of Voss Pecans, the only commercial pecan farm in Illinois I jumped. The tour went on all day, with nut growers coming in the morning, and Trees Forever Members touring in the afternoon. Keith and I came to the afternoon session and walked through the grove and watched the amazing tree shaker literally shake pecans right out of the pecan trees. Then they used a nut harvester that picked up the pecans like a mini combine.
All in all what did I learn in my tour?
I will do a Top Ten Like David Letterman!
- The biggest insect threat to the pecans is the Stink Bug.
- Pecans can grow all the way up to Springfield, Illinois.
- At Voss Pecans they use a tree shaker to shake the pecans out of the tree.
- Pecans grow naturally along the Kaskaskia River.
- A pecan tree can live 100 years.
- A Hican is a hickory and pecan hybrid.
- The Voss family has a bird call that gives a distress call to crows and blue birds to keep them away from the nuts. They use a cannon after the 3 weeks when the crows get smart.
- A squirrel can eat up to 50 pounds of pecans.
- Mexico will soon surpass the US in pecan production.
- Voss Pecans is the only commercial pecan grower in the State of Illinois.